A Triumph in the making 4

The summer of ’87 fizzled into Autumn just in time to see ‘Betty’ hit the tracks…

My love affair with engines had started in conjunction with the embryonic development of my worst traits – an inability to adhere to timelines, an incapability to say ‘no‘ all healthily furnished with a lifelong disrespect for the (helpful/useful) advice provided by my peers 

 

Triumph_1987_026

Stage 1 – Dissassembly

Stage 2 – The Engine, suspension and wheels

Stage 3 – The BodyWork

Stage 4 – The Paint Job

A Triumph in the making 2

Following the initial ‘hijacking’ of the garage…it was time to get serious and find an engine!

I decided to use the full power of a redundant Triumph vitesse engine (with a minor rebore…) but first I had to make it look pretty, it’s Hammerite Time.

Then to the leaf-spring suspension, a couple of wheels and we are on track to looking like a real car (sort of)

Stage 1 – Dissassembly

Stage 2 – The Engine, suspension and wheels

Stage 3 – The BodyWork

Stage 4 – The Paint Job

A Triumph in the making 1

It was the summer of 1987…

A run down Triumph Herald 13/60 sat rusting in a neighbours backyard – just waiting for some love, care and attention (and an engine). 

Without any prior knowledge of cars or engines, I started to take the car apart…bit by bit. Much to the annoyance of my parents, I took over the garage and started to place labelled car parts into an exponential explosion of WD40 primed empty margarine containers…hoping that meticulous organisation in the deconstruction would assist in the reconstruction of the mechanical beast…

Stage 2 involved shotblasting the chasis; welding the chasis in the areas most affected by rust (i.e. those that fell off in the process); applying multiple coats of Hammerite and 3 top coats of German tank paint (best part of living in a port town).

The project was underway!

Stage 1 – Dissassembly

Stage 2 – The Engine, suspension and wheels

Stage 3 – The BodyWork

Stage 4 – The Paint Job